Stephen is a partner with Aitken Partners and heads our property law team and has built a three decade career on all aspects of real property and conveyancing, leases and licences, site re-development (small and large projects) and compulsory acquisition.
Stephen also assists clients with issues relating to crown land, planning, social housing, pollution control.
Stephen’s current client base includes various not-for-profit organisations, medium to large private companies, family businesses and private individuals.
He has provided advice on integration of corporate structures and family assets, on the vesting and splitting of trusts and change of trustees and the preparation of wills and general advice on estate matters.
- Advising on the development a 500-million golf course estate, involving a 1000 lot subdivision, golf course, hotel and convention centre. This project has involved:
- satisfying complex planning issues and approvals
- resolving licensing issues (between the local shire council and the local water authority)
- water rights issues and legal processes surrounding applications for surface water permits
- negotiation and documentation with water statutory bodies (including NSW Fisheries) regarding water management strategies.
- Advising on the development of many petrol stations and fuel depot sites for Scotts Agencies of Mt Gambier, including advice and negotiation on contamination and pollution issues.
- Advising on dealings with Victorian Heritage Commission to successfully negotiate and resolve the issue of a heritage overlay at Mornington Peninsula with a satisfactory outcome for our client and the Heritage Commission.
- Advising the Hawthorn Parish of the Roman Catholic Trust in property issues.