- Areas of Law Insolvency , Litigation , Family Law
- Qualifications Admitted to Practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the High Court (2018);
Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (The College of Law, 2018);
Bachelor of Laws, Latrobe University (2017); and
Bachelor of Arts, Monash University (double major in criminology and psychology).
At heart, Annmarie Geros is a Dispute Resolution and Litigation Lawyer, who provides her clients with timely and pragmatic advice. With experience and expertise across various practice areas, Annmarie is well placed to spot legal issues quickly, and address them efficiently with the view of resolving disputes during the pre-litigation stage. Where necessary Annmarie is equipped to appear as a solicitor advocate, drawing on her advocacy skills from her appearance work at both the State and Federal level.
Annmarie’s Commercial Litigation and Insolvency work includes some of the following:
- Advising on debt recovery disputes, including on the merits of recovery and the likelihood of success;
- Acting for unsecured and secured creditors/debtors in wind-up proceedings, appearing and negotiating to resolve same;
- Acting for creditors in complex bankruptcy proceeding, involving multiple companies, trusts, loan agreements, and where there have been ongoing proceedings in the Family Court of Australia;
- Providing advice and issuing statutory demands for debt recovery;
- Defending Set Aside Applications;
- Preparing Proof of Debt and Reports on Company Activities and Property for individual debtors;
- Appearing in bankruptcy hearings;
- Advising on transactions to defeat creditors pursuant to section 120 (undervalued transactions)/121(transfer to defeat creditors) of the Bankruptcy Act 1966;
- Appearing at wind-up hearings to adjourn, settle or wind-up debtor companies;
- Acting on behalf of administrators/liquidators for companies in voluntary/involuntary administration, including reviewing Deeds of Company Arrangements (‘DOCA’);
- Appearing with respect to an adjournment for a creditor’s second meeting, pursuant to section 440A(2) of the Corporations Act (Cth) 2001.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation:
- Providing advice on commercial agreements, and preparation of those agreements including but not limited to, Deeds of Agreement, Deeds of Forbearance, Deeds of Exoneration, Deeds of Settlement and Release, Unit holders, Shareholders and Development Management Agreements;
- Assisting counsel to advise on the merits of Appeal from a decision of a lower court, on the question of fresh evidence;
- Reviewing and providing advice upon costs disputes, including the taxation of costs;
- Advising on contractual disputes, including shareholders and partnership disputes, and general commercial agreements;
- Appearing in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for urgent hearings including but not limited to injunctions and successfully obtaining costs (in a no cost jurisdiction), pursuant to section 109 of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998 (Vic);
Having commenced her career working at smaller boutique firms, Annmarie has acted for a breadth of clients from individuals, small to medium business’, and large corporations. Uniquely, from Annmarie’s past experience, she brings with her a very personal touch when working with client’s, being both approachable and empathetic in her nature.
To that end, Annmarie enjoys getting to know her clients and their business’, so that she can provide targeted legal advice. In her pursuit to provide her client’s with service, a cut above the rest, aside from providing clear yet technical legal advice, Annmarie keeps clients informed at every step of their matter, so that they are in driver’s seat of the litigation process, whilst she supports and navigates them to a final resolution.
Aside from Annmarie’s corporate and insolvency experience, she has acted for clients in a number of other practice areas, including the following notable areas:
- Building and Construction – advising on the sale of land and building contracts, sale and purchase of business’, seeking and obtaining an urgent injunction to prohibit a lender from taking possession of a development site, reviewing and advising on lease agreements, including disputes regarding the novel COVID-19 and the new regulatory provisions and legislative changes;
- Wills & Estates Litigation – making Part IV Applications, obtaining orders to remove Executors, drafting Wills and Powers of Attorney (Financial and Medical);
- Family Law:
- Appearing at Final Hearing in a Contravention Application in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia – obtained Orders seeking a warrant for the contravening party’s arrest, obtained subsequent Orders placing the contravening party on a good behaviour bond, and awarded a large sum of costs;
- Appearing at Direction Hearings and Mentions for complex property and parenting matters;
- Instructing counsel with respect to complex property matters, including defacto relationships and matters involving commercial business disputes, pre and post separation liabilities of the matrimonial property pool, and loan agreements with third parties; and
- Preparing and advising clients with respect to Binding Financial Agreements, Binding Child Support Agreements, and Applications for Consent Orders (parenting and property); and
- Banking and Finance Law – advising individual clients and company’s on lending disputes with large banking institutions, including guiding clients through the Australian Financial and Credit Authority (AFCA) process.
Apart from advising her clients and advocating for them throughout their matter. Annmarie sits on the executive committee of the Law Institute of Victoria’s Young Lawyers (‘LIV YL’) and is a strong advocate for supporting and mentoring other Junior Lawyers. In her role, as the Co-Chair of the Young Lawyers Editorial Committee, Annmarie is heavily involved in the publication and editing of content for the LIV YL. As such, she remains at the forefront of the substantive and practical issues facing the profession so as to better assist and further her client’s business and legal needs.
Annmarie brings with her an enthusiasm and enjoyment of the law, which translates, into commercially suitable, cost-effective outcomes for her clients. Accordingly, should you need any legal assistance, please feel welcome to contact Annmarie, to have a chat about how she can assist you.
- Law Institute of Victoria Member (LIV)
- LIV Young Lawyers Member (YL)
- Victorian Women’s Legal (VWL)
- Women in Insolvency and Restructuring Victoria (WIRV)
- Running and stepping into the boxing ring/li>
- An ever-optimistic Carlton supporter;/li>
- Home decorating and design/li>
- Having a glass of red with friends