+61 03 8600 6045
Areas of Law: Aged Care, Business Law, Not-For-Profit, Property Law
Qualifications: Bachelor of Arts I Bachelor of Laws
Julie Maxfield is the team leader of Aitken Partners Property and Business Law Teams. She has many years experience advising clients in these areas and is highly experienced in complex real property, planning and development issues.
She also has considerable expertise in Health & Aged Care, where her advice encompasses everything from regulatory and compliance advice, to transactional, development and structuring advice and documentation.
- Sale and acquisition of residential, commercial and rural land, including subdivisions, developments, and ‘off the plan’ transactions.
- Acted for both landlords and tenants in relation to the preparation and review of commercial and retail leases/licences including with respect to rent relief, unpaid rent and outgoings, subletting, repairs to premises and unconscionable conduct.
- Mortgagee sales and security advice for major banks and security providers.
- Taxation advice, including assistance with compliance and objections, with a key focus on GST, land tax and stamp duty in property transactions.
- Advising clients with respect to wider property issues such as adverse possession, contaminated land, leasing and licensing, owners corporation management and compliance, and sales of owner built properties including advice regarding the Building Act 1993 (Vic) and builders warranty insurance.
- Dealings with, and advising clients regarding encumbrances registered on title including warrants, caveats, notices of action and second mortgages (including priority agreements), and all communications with relevant bodies regarding such encumbrances.
- Mergers and acquisitions of aged care and retirement living businesses including due diligence investigations, negotiations and documentation, and structuring of new and existing retirement living and aged care developments, including sales and acquisitions, redevelopments, residence contract preparation, management advice and dispute resolution.
- Advising on all aspects of structuring of new and existing retirement living and aged care developments, including sales and acquisitions, redevelopments, residence contract preparation and management advice and dispute resolution.
- Preparing and updating client agreements in accordance with regulatory requirements including the Aged Care Act 1997 (Cth), Retirement Villages Act 1986 (Vic) and Disability Act 2006 (Vic).
- Advising and assisting aged care and retirement living operators regarding compliance with State and Commonwealth regulations and requirements, risk management, the conduct of departmental investigations, complaint handling and appeals processes.
- Preparing and advising on policies and procedures relating to residential and home care, retirement villages, privacy, OH&S, complaints and other internal client requirements.
- Recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia for Real Property Law.