The construction boom in Melbourne and the need to increase our population density has resulted in the development of many more apartment, commercial and multi-purpose complexes.
This growth has put extra pressure on Owners Corporations to enhance the profitability of the project as well as its ongoing protection and maintenance.
Our Owners Corporation lawyers are equipped with the skills and experience necessary to assist Owners Corporations, lot owners and managers to navigate their rights and obligations under the Owners Corporations Act 2006, Owners Corporations Regulations 2018 and other relevant legislation, to reach their desired outcomes.
Common property needs to be cared for, that is the role of an Owners Corporation. The role of our Owners Corporations Team is to advocate for the property, the silent member of the community.
We host regular seminars and webinars dealing with issues associated with running an Owners Corporation, such as legislative changes, planning issues, dispute resolution and debt collection.
To join our mailing list, please sign up here.
Our OC Services
We regularly advise clients on:
- Boundary definitions on the plan of subdivision to determine liability.
- Repairs and maintenance of common property and common services, including but not limited to building defects that are within the 10-year implied warranty period and the ability to pursue the builder.
- The rights and obligations of the initial owner.
- Alterations to the plan of subdivision and schedule of lot entitlement and liability.
- Conversion from Company Share Scheme to Owners Corporation.
- Breach of Owners Corporation rules.
- The manager’s contract of appointment, and other facilities management or service contracts entered into by the Owners Corporation.
- Validity of proxies and votes cast at meetings or by ballot.
- Rights and obligations that arise out of a lease or licence agreement for the use of common property.
- The raising of special levies for extraordinary items of expenditure.
- The recovery of unpaid Owners Corporation levies from lot owners.
We also assist our clients with drafting:
- Resolutions – ordinary, special and unanimous.
- Postal ballot documents.
- Licence agreements for use of common property.
- Leases for use of common property
- Special rules.
- Notices in respect of rule breaches.
- Notices in respect of maintenance and repairs of lots.
Get in touch
Fill out the form below or give us a call: +61 3 8600 6000