The expertise of our Business & Commercial Law Team ranges widely to cover a diversity of legal issues facing corporate entities and businesses, whether the issue is to be dealt with on a standalone basis or as part of a broader strategy. At any given time, our commercially focussed lawyers are actively engaged in transactional matters such as the restructuring of businesses and mergers and acquisitions, as well as the day-to-day management issues facing our clients in business such as corporate governance, compliance, employment, and customer and supplier contracts and transactions.
Our Business Law Team has a breadth of knowledge and an understanding of the industries in which our clients operate. We apply these skills for the benefit of a range of entities including public and private companies, not-for-profit organisations, partnerships and small businesses. With strong links through our national and international networks we are able to provide a single point of reference for our clients whether they are opening a new store in Brisbane or sourcing supply from China.
Our business and commercial lawyers advise and guide clients across the breath of commercial law, including:
- Negotiating and drafting all manner of commercial agreements and contracts including procurement and supply agreements, terms of trade, security and maintenance contracts, agreements for the supply and/or installation of materials and goods, professional services, minor and major building works and other service agreements.
- Business acquisition and sales advice covering contractual due diligence, negotiations, preparation of documentation, assignments of leases, assignments of material contracts, licensing and permit transfers, settlement and post settlement actions and disputes.
- Compliance and governance advice covering (among other things), Corporations Act compliance, directors’ duties, corporate governance, compliance with ASIC requirements and lodgements and other legislative and industry specific compliance, licensing and permits.
- Taxation advice covering duties, payroll and land tax, the congestion levy, franchise fees and capital gains tax. We also advise businesses on effective tax structuring of operations and transactions including the tax implications of acquisitions and sales.
- Aged care and retirement living advice for residents and operators in the residential aged care and retirement village arenas, mergers, acquisitions and disposals, property transactions, planning applications, applications and transfers of approved places, drafting and advising resident agreements, compliance with Aged Care Act and Retirement Villages Act and other applicable legislative and regulatory requirements, complaints, supply agreements, industrial relations and operational issues.
- Debt recovery and dealing effectively with the consequences of clients’ own and their customers’ financial problems. Effective debt recovery is an essential component of many of our clients’ businesses. Aitken Partners is efficient at recovering debts for clients and has many years’ experience in implementing efficient recovery debts on behalf of clients. We also provide advice on strategies to our clients to minimise the risk of bad debt.
- Joint venture, partnerships and shareholder arrangements involving structuring of joint venture arrangements, establishment of joint ventures, managed joint ventures, partnerships, unit trust and shareholding arrangements, drafting shareholders/partnership/unitholders agreements.
- Investor and business visa advice to seek residence in Australia.